Sunday, February 15, 2009

Any Reason to Celebrate is a Good One

Valentine's Day. This was our first together. Last year, we were in different time zones. Sixteen hours apart to be exact. This year, as though to make up for last year, we started celebrating early.

Wednesday, February 11th.

Review in The Seattle Times, February 16th. 2009

This first night was on me. I got the tickets. We had dinner at the nearby 'Cheesecake Factory' before heading to the Paramount theatre. I had watched the show when I was on a solo trip to London in 2005. The show was awesome! It was worth watching again. I could tell that Chad enjoyed the whole experience immensely.

Thursday, February 12th.
Chad's gift to us was a trip to the quaint town of Port Townsend.

We stayed at the Palace Hotel. Our first choice for a room was the Miss Rose room. Alas, it was not to be. Although Chad had called to make reservations weeks before, the Miss Rose room was already taken. Looking at the pictures below, it is easy to see why it's so popular. Just look at that brass ceiling and chandelier in that bathroom. We just have to make sure we come back and get this room because that bathroom is just a dream!




The Miss Rose Bathroom at the Palace Hotel


The Miss Rose Room at the Palace Hotel


As we headed out that evening, we saw that the local theatre was playing 'Rachel Getting Married'. We looked at our watches. 4.20 pm. "When does the show start?" 4.30 pm. We looked at each other and the ticketing lady smiled. This theatre consists of only two screens with seating for maybe 75 on the small screen (the Rosebud) and 150 on the original Rose. Our show was playing in the Rosebud.

I loved the experience of watching a movie in this theater. One, I had never been in such a tiny theater. Two, it seemed everybody who came to watch the movie knew each other. And the best thing and what caught me by surprise was when a lady , a Rose employee, came in before the show to explain a few fun tidbits about the making of the movie. Chad would probably say that the best part was the popcorn, which I would agree, was very good.

After the movie, we had a wonderful dinner at the Silverwater cafe. We both had fish and shared a chocolate hazelnut mousse. My review would read "Great service, wonderful ambience and yummilicious food".

Friday, February 13th.
After a splendid breakfast at the Salal Cafe the next morning, we visited the shops. Our favourites are always the book shop, the puzzle shop and the kitchen shops. Before we left, I even managed to get some great sushi to go for later.

Historic Downtown of Poulsbo

On the way back to take the ferry to Seattle, we stopped by Poulsbo, which is Washington's piece of Norway. We did a bit of exploring. We went into a chocolate shop, got one of this and one of that. As we walked along. I was trying to pull Chad away from the display window of a bakery called Sluys. An elderly couple came out of the bakery just then, with a big bounty of pastries in hand. The sweet old lady looked at Chad staring into the display window and then looked at me to say with a smile, "He's not going to be able to come out of here empty handed". She was right. The apple cinnamon bread alone is worth a trip back to Poulsbo!

Pastries displayed at Sluy's

We were then back on our way to visit the other shops. We stopped by a really wonderful book store. Chad seemed to want to stop by every bakery and cafe! As we looped back, we had to make a second visit to the chocolate shop. We had already eaten our favourites and wanted more! Oh well, I guess Valentine's is the best excuse anyone can have for such indulgences. My favourite is the ginger dark chocolate and Chad's is the mint dark chocolate. I only wish we had more time in Poulsbo. It's such a charming town and one I would definitely want to visit again.

After we had arrived home, Chad presented me with a bouquet of little daisies and roses.*smile*

Saturday, February 14th.
Chad prepared a big Valentine's day breakfast. Blueberry pancakes! Saturdays are Chad's Mondays, so he had to head to work, so I tucked a Valentine's Day card with the lunch I had put together for him.

Chad came home after midnight and gave me his funny valentine's day card which made me laugh.

It was a good day.

A week filled with wonderful experiences and great memories.

No comments: