Monday, March 9, 2009

My Latest Experiment

Indonesian Ginger Chicken


If you had more ginger than you know what to do with, this is a recipe I would recommend.

About a week ago, I was feeling all fluish and asked Chad to buy me lots of fresh ginger because I wanted to make lots of fish congee. He got me LOTS of ginger. Yes, more than I knew what to do with. My googgling efforts brought me to Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) Indonesian Ginger Chicken. I'm not sure how indonesian this recipe is but the ginger and garlic does add a more asian flavour.

I made a couple of adjustments to the original recipe. I added even more ginger than the huge amount the recipe already called for. We bought lots of chicken thighs from Costco on our last trip, so I used 12 chicken thighs instead of 2 quartered chickens. I had just shy of a cup of honey left, so I added a small amount of maple syrup to make up for the difference.

We had the chicken with brocolli and rice- mixture of jasmine, wild and brown rice cooked in chicken broth and a touch of butter.

I packed it for Chad's lunch and Chad has already asked me to make it again. No problem-I still have enough ginger for another round.

VERDICT: Easy to make, reheats well, Chad likes it. A winner!

No comments: