Sunday, December 21, 2008

Horseshoe Crabs and Hot Humid Days


On a day like this, I almost miss those hot and humid days. This photo was taken in June this year at a 'Kelong' in Malaysia. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, 'kelong' is an offshore platform built predominantly with wood, built primarilly for fishing purposes by fishermen but also can serve as dwellings for them and their families. These 'kelongs' can be found in waters off Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia and a small handful in Singapore waters.

My former colleagues and I were on a Staff retreat trip and I remember it being really very warm. We had a wonderful seafood lunch that day!


On our way to the kelong! You can see one other boat which is just like ours.



My friend and former colleague, Meixiu, holding a horseshoe crab. The blood of the horseshoe crabs turn dark blue when exposed to the oxygen in the air and they are more closely related to spiders, ticks, and scorpions than to crabs. This is a really small one. Could be just a baby.




Me and my shadow...

No comments: