Thursday, February 26, 2009

Comfort Food

I haven't been feeling well the last couple of days. First a scratchy throat, then a sore throat and then and itchy throat with the cough. Fish congee is what I long for, when I am sick like this. Congee is (in Chinese cooking) broth or porridge made from rice. So yesterday, I got lots of fresh ginger, cod, scallions and made myself a wonderful bowl of comfort.

Homemade fish congee

It was the first time I was making fish congee in a long while. Even a few Chinese I know don't like congee, so I wasn't quite sure how Chad would take to it. And what did Chad have for dinner? I suggested that he make himself some dinner, just in case. You can see what he had in the picture below. Those sausages are really spicy and one of my favourites.

Chad's dinner


The congee I made was delicious, though I think the texture has to be improved. I need to figure out how to get that wonderful smoothness of the rice porridge like at a few of the best restaurants. I did let Chad know though that he'd have to at least take a taste the next time I make some.

No comments: